miércoles, 18 de septiembre de 2019

CAUSE AND EFFECT CONNECTORS

CAUSE AND EFFECT CONNECTORS - EXERCISES


1.- Read through the following passage, underlining causes and highlighting effects.
    I woke up late this morning because my alarm clock did not ring. As a result, I had to rush to get ready for school and I made a huge mess all over the house. I missed the bus because I had to go back home to fetch my cellphone. Consequently, I was late for school, and my lecturer was not pleased with me at all. Due to the fact that my day had been going so badly, I was in a bad mood and I shouted at my friends. Since I was in such a bad mood, they didn’t want to hang out with me and they left. After they left, my day only got worse. In view of all that happened today, I’ve decided that I need two alarm clocks instead of one, to make sure I wake up on time in the mornings.

2.- Underline the cause and highlight its effect in each of the following sentences.
1. After the dog bit her, we had to take her to the hospital.
2. Her computer stopped working due to a virus.
3. The police arrested him because he committed a crime.
4. She set fire to the curtain first before the whole house burnt down.
5. If she gets accepted to university, she will become a doctor.
6. Unless she finds a replacement, she will be fired.
7. Owing to the lack of customers, the restaurant closed down this week.
8. Since she is scared of clowns, she never goes to the circus.
9. He passed his first year at university; as a result, his parents bought him a car. 10.She is lazy, therefore she has failed all of her subjects.

3.- CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER
     1) We turned back  so / because it was raining.
     2) Since / Although  I was tired, I managed to finish the work.
     3) They lost the match  because / because of  their por physical form
     4) Many countries in the world don’t have enough food  so / as a result of   serious
       social and political problems.
     5) Since / Therefore  her salary was so high, she changed her every other year.
     6) So / Since  all her friends were on holiday, she stayed in.
     7) Therefore / Although  his German was very bad, he could communicate with the shop assistant.
     8) They bought him a gift  although / because  it was his birthday.
     9) Jake couldn’t sleep  so / since  next day he was very tired.
   10) I think  therefore / because  I exist  (Descartes).
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

UNITS 7 & 8

UNIT 7 – 8 EXERCISES – SOLUTIONS - 3RD ESO 1.- WRITE THE SUPERLATIVE IN NEXT SENTENCES      1) January is often _________________________...